Girls playing sports is not about winning gold medals. It’s about self-esteem, learning to compete and learning how hard you have to work in order to achieve your goals.
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee (Olympian, U.S. track and field)
You’ve got to look for tough competition. You’ve got to want to beat the best.
- Grete Waitz (Olympian/Norwegian marathon runner and former world record holder)
There’s always a point where you get knocked down. But I draw on what I’ve learned on the track: If you work hard, things will work out.
- Lolo Jones (American track & field and bobsled athlete/Olympian)
You have to train your mind like you train your body.
- Bruce Jenner (Olympian gold medalist in decathlon in 1976)
I was not talented enough to run and smile at the same time.
- Emil Zatopek (Czech long-distance runner/gold medalist at 1952 Olympics)
If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.