Coconut Biscuits are my favorite for breakfast, brunch or anytime. They are quick and delicious… and also happen to be gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free and nut-free!! I’ve been gluten-free since 1997 so I’ve tested a wide range of recipes with different flours. If you’ve never baked with coconut flour, it helps to let it sit for a few minutes after mixing to allow it to expand and come together. It boasts dietary fiber and a bit of protein. Once the biscuits are out of the oven, I recommend eating them right away while hot. They probably won’t last anyway!
Ingredients: (makes 8 to 10 biscuits)
1/3 cup coconut flour
4 Tablespoons coconut oil (can also use butter or ghee if dairy is fine)
1 egg and 3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
a dash of salt
1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Separate egg whites and combine with all other wet ingredients, including coconut oil and sweetener, if used.
3. Combine all dry ingredients and then blend with wet ingredients.
4. Allow to sit for at least 2 minutes to allow coconut flour to expand.
5. Spoon about one Tablespoon of batter for each biscuit and place onto cookie sheet with parchment paper.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until done.
7. Eat plain or top with maple syrup, baked apple slices or other fruit.
TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR HEALTH: If you want to detoxify your body and get a jumpstart to a healthier life, read the Seven-Day PWR Detox book. If you need help reaching your goals, sign up for a free consultative interview and learn more about our wellness coaching.
Contributed by Teresa Kay-Aba Kennedy, Ph.D., MBA. Part of the Power Living® Empowerment Series.