In the summer, it’s time to enjoy cooling foods – water-filled fruits and vegetables. Summer is associated with the element Fire, according to the Taoist Five Element Theory. Fire is the energetic force that governs the health and functionality of your heart and small intestines, as well as the functions of circulation and heating in the body. It is important to cut back on refined foods and animal fats to allow these organs to restore themselves.
Lighten up with some of these summer power foods:
- Berries – delicious and packed with antioxidants, fiber and vitamin C
- Tomatoes and Peppers – antioxidant-filled sources of fiber, vitamin A, C, and lycopene
- Leafy Greens – from baby field greens to mustard greens, they provide an array of nutrients including fiber, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, folic acid and chlorophyll
- Mushrooms – the no-fat cancer-fighters, high in riboflavin and niacin
- Beans – nutrient-rich sources of fiber, iron and protein
- Sweet Onions – cancer-fighters rich in flavonoids and vitamin B
Give the heart and small intestine a rest by easing up on the meat, cheese and eggs. Instead of ice cream, make your own fruit smoothie combinations. Gardens are overflowing with fresh, live foods for cleansing and restoring the body. Visit a farmer’s market or produce stand and toss up an Italian Leafy Green Salad. Salads capture the essence of summer. Test out the grapeseed oil. It’s packed with antioxidants and is high in vitamin E, C and beta-carotene.
Contributed by Teresa Kay-Aba Kennedy, Ph.D., MBA. Part of the Power Living® Empowerment Series.
TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR HEALTH: Learn more about Eating in Season. Also, find out how to use Food as Medicine, get Health Tips, learn about Green Living and check out some healthy Recipes. If you want to detoxify your body and get a jumpstart to a healthier life, read the Seven Day-PWR Detox book. If you need help reaching your goals, sign up for a free consultative interview and learn more about our wellness coaching.
Photo Credit: FreeDigitalPhotos.net